Thursday, October 30, 2008

Cyclocross is a Blast, but not when ya can't run....

Even though I am not very good at it (mainly because I am such a klutz), in years past I have greatly enjoyed the fast paced fall cyclocross season. Last year I did five CX races and the year before I did even more than that racing nearly every weekend in late September and all of October, but this year my injured heel has not healed to the extent to allow me to attempt a CX race...I hurt my heel in a dynamic crushing event while chasing my crazed offspring on the Lake Superior Hiking Trail. I was chasing her as she crossed a small bridge spanning about two feet across a dried-up rocky creek-bed; she ran over with no problem, but when I hit the old rickety wood structure it gave way and I violently jammed my heal into the underlying rocks. It hurt something awful and had it not been for a stash of Summit Porter Ales (Note: for the money; a fine local St. Paul, MN Ale ) back at the camp, I may have elected suicide rather than hiking/limping out the next morning...Then the very next weekend I jammed the same heel into the bottom of a pool while chasing the same crazed off-spring up and down one of those cheesy motel water-slides. Again access to fermented grain beverages saved my will to live as it felt like one of them mean, old Taliban fellas had hit me with a full swing on the bottom of my foot with an ax handle. X-rays revealed a "significant" bone spur and the doc shot it up with cortisone, but that was way back in mid-August and it is still is too tender to run on...so it goes...My hope is that I will be able to race the November 15th Minnesota CX Championships...But hey you don't want to read about my problems, you got your own problems!!!! Plus I can still ride my bike....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?