Friday, March 7, 2008

To be snubbed...it never gets any less painful :(

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)

Snub \Snub\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Snubbed; p. pr. & vb. n.
Snubbing.] [Cf. Icel. ssnubba to snub, chide, Sw. snubba,
Icel. snubb[=o]ttr snubbed, nipped, and E. snib.]
1. To clip or break off the end of; to check or stunt the
growth of; to nop.
2. To check, stop, or rebuke, with a tart, sarcastic reply or
remark; to reprimand; to check. --J. Foster.
3. To treat with contempt or neglect, as a forward or
pretentious person; to slight designedly.
To snub a cable or rope (Naut.), to check it suddenly in
running out. --Totten.


Context is always important, but especially so when describing the act of being snubbed. Itz a beautiful sunny day and the snow is hard packed, I have the whole trail to myself, I am whistling the theme from Joseph and the Technicolor Dream Coat as I easily spin down the Amity Trail. Out far ahead I see a young, fit looking man running towards me. He's way out, but the trail is straight and so we can both see each other. As I approach, I am cognizant of his apparent athletism as manifested in an efficient running gait. We are close now, so I begin to consider my greeting, should I go with the standard, "Beauty day, eh?" or may be I'll go with the oldie but goodie, "You're looking strong!" But then...In an instant, before I can surmise a rationale and then submit an appropriate pleasantry, he's within but a few meters...Our eyes meet...we lock onto each other's eyes, the gateway to our souls. The eyes of two predators at the top of the food-chain. For that nano-second, we are but two kindred spirits, for we share the whole history of humanity; with all its trials and tribulations, with all the joys and horrors of history. Two men alone for that singular moment in space and time. For me the honesty is too much, so I blurt out, "How we doing?" The young lean face looks more deeply into my eyes and then abruptly turns away and SNUBS ME!!!! It was a full-on totally in-your-face-disgrace SNUB!!! I was in shock, so all I could muster was a meek, "Whatever!" in such a girly voice that I doubt he even heard it...so it goes...

Feeding the Rat: 3 hours and 37 minutes...

6 comments:

  1. I hate it when I get snubbed. It seems to happen more often than not when I'm out cycling these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there is a snubademic breaking out. I've been getting it a lot lately. And not even from recumbents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just take it for what it is, you are further up the food chain, and have learned to talk while riding. Fear not as eventually, after you have encouraged/trained the non-speaking, they will discover they have voices too. However, here in Nord Dakoda I've noticed that this training doesn't seem to take hold until the age is 60+ and/or the speed they travel is a walking gait.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you continue to wear that Patagonia thing with the hood/side zipper, people are going to continue to snub you. You are too retro for the up-and-coming youngsters focused on "looking the part."

    skj

    ReplyDelete
  5. Charlie:
    I and my lovely wife are convinced your problems with trail snubs and rude auto drivers likely stem from your unceasingly nice smile/grin. Obviously on a bike you are having more fun than anybody else and they simply hate you cause you are living life to the fullest/best and they can't hardly stand it.
    Love, Dave P and wifey

    ReplyDelete

Comments?