Monday, August 1, 2011

Farrow disqualified for leaving route in first annual Sir Mallory Race! DBD promises an immediate and thorough investigation. Oh the Shame!!!

“I rode nearly 400 miles in three and one-half dayz on a 60 lb. loaded Pugsley.... On terrain rarely seen by civilized gentlemen-cyclists… The Deer Flies drank the DEET mockingly as they attacked my MAN-bits with a blood-lust and fanaticism reminiscent of the Visigoth’s sacking of ancient Rome...” excerpt from the Trip Report

Dear Readership:
I know that there will be calls for my head. It is true that not unlike Shackleton, I was unable to complete the planned mission.... Unlike Shackleton, it was not the ice pack, nor was it the swampy trail conditions that ultimately defeated me, but the voracious deer flies that showed me no mercy, driving me nearly insane with constant harassment! I was able to ride the prescribed route for over 100 miles on the first day out. But after a brief, albeit reluctant and less-than-inspired effort on Day 2 (with the same pack of hardy “Hun-like” deer flies reinforced with thousands of fresh and equally blood-thirsty recruits attacking me from all fronts)...In shame (note: me “trusty” revolver misfired as I prepared to do my duty amid the raging, relentless Deer Fly attack), I opted to ride a series of gravel (and some asphalt) roads that took me across the scenic and remote Northland. Riding north from Nashwauk, then Cook, then essentially from Buyck to Ely following the amazing County Road #116 gravel road. From Ely, I partly rode down HWY 1 to the Tomahawk Road (not trail) and took a left which allowed for another 80+ miles of amazing remote gravel. Somehow I ended up in the tiny hamlet of Isabella...Eventually I arrived back at Finland after riding through some beautiful country via gravel roads. From Finland, I rode the 70 miles home via asphalt gaining Highway 61 just north of Silver Bay. The whole route was ~389 miles (according to my odometer which was hastily remounted on the Pugs on the Wednesday afternoon...but I am sure that I got at least 380 miles in and maybe even as many as 400 miles...It was tough riding the Pugs for that distance. Many cool encounters with interesting folk and funny ones as well. A full report to follow. In honesty, Kershaw was correct about leaving the Tomahawk from Ely...I even spoke with one of the DNR guyz that mows it. "We have to wait every year until late December and freeze up to mow that segment because of the bogs." However it did provide some good conditions for riding farther down the line and I did ride it for about two hours farther south as a connector between two gravel roads near Isabella....
Humbly,
C

Four tough dayz really wiped me out...makes me really appreciate how those guyz can go day after day on the Great Divide Tour.

2 comments:

  1. the horror, the horror...

    I am expecting a full written apology (for pithily dismissing my trail knowledge), signed, delivered and freshly wax stamped in my mail box within a fortnight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charles:

    Although Minnesota DNR officials have been unavailable to confirm this (as they are still regrouping after the recent government shutdown), studies indicate a direct correlation between deer fly and timber wolf populations in and around Ely. Just another way the wolves are terrorizing our state....

    I am happy to see that you survived this voyage, but survivors rarely become a part of mythology. It is important to your legacy that you not make it home from one of these treks to ensure your place in the pantheon of adventuredom. Hexum

    ReplyDelete

Comments?