Tuesday, May 22, 2007

The Folly Of Mowing...















Folly: [ME folie french-origin, means fool] lack of good sense or normal prudence and foresight.

People at work think I'm crazy 'cuz I continue to race my bikes even though I am slow, getting slower, and that on occasion I do myself bodily harm. Well I think they are crazy because they spend their time and money on the folly of lawn-care [Disclaimer: like the rest of you spineless comformists, I am forced under duress to mow the lawn, but I do so in the full knowledge of itz absurdity and folly--I am a relunctant mower, mowing my lawn in quiet desperation]. Mowing is the quintessential example of folly for middle-class Americans. What could be more absurd than embarking on an infinitely reciprocal course of growing the grass, raking the grass, mowing the grass, bagging up the grass, raking up the grass, throwing away the grass, watering the grass, fertilizing the grass, cutting the grass, raking the grass, bagging up the grass, throwing away the grass, watering the grass, fertilizing the grass, cutting the grass, throwing away the grass, watering the grass, fertilizing the grass, cutting the grass, throwing away the grass, watering the grass, fertilizing the grass, cutting the grass, until tens of thousands of dollars later and decades, upon decades of throwing away the grass, watering the grass, fertilizing the grass, cutting the grass…they charge your family thousands of dollars to plant you under the grass and then--they continue throwing away the grass, watering the grass, fertilizing the grass, cutting the grass, growing the grass, mowing the grass, bagging up the grass, throwing away the grass, watering the grass, fertilizing the grass, cutting the grass, bagging up the grass, throwing away the grass, watering the grass, fertilizing the grass, cutting the grass, throwing away the grass, watering the grass, fertilizing the grass, cutting the grass, throwing away the grass, watering the grass, fertilizing the grass, cutting the grass, until hundreds of thousands of dollars later and decades upon decades of throwing away the grass, watering the grass, fertilizing the grass, cutting the grass…Wal Mart charges your grandchildren to plant your child under the grass and they continue throwing away the grass, watering the grass, fertilizing the grass, cutting the grass…so it goes…

Have I struck a cord?, I bet I have....So I am putting out a Call for Reason...Husbands Dig-in, Friends Revolt, Students Resist, Politicians Protest; Let us together end the FOLLY OF MOWING!!! [Please don't tell my wife about this...]

An Apostle of Ahimsa:
30 minute power-walk during lunch and an involuntary rest day due to wife working the late shift. The Sky looked threatening, so I did not MOW...even in the knowledge that the grass may grow even longer...OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. I enjoy seeing the average american on his/her lawnmower, beer in one hand a smoke in the other, while I cruz by on my bicycle. I think they are really happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mowing ny lawn the other day turned me into a murdered. I accidentally ran over a small rabbit as it cowered in the tall grass I should have mowed a week earlier. The crows appreciated it thou..
    The reason the grass had not been mowed earlier, was that I was riding my new bike. Ultegra 10 is much better than tecumseh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you have a reel mower (powered by Norwegian steam) and not one of those gas engine types!

    ReplyDelete

Comments?